Lovepacs currently serves five local communities with over 2000 kids each holiday. Choose your community below to volunteer or see the needs for your community.
One in Four
According to Feeding America’s recent study “Map the Meal Gap: Child Food Insecurity 2011” (Per FeedingAmerica.org), one in four children in our country lacks enough nutritious food to live a healthy life. Shockingly, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the Dallas region is number one in the nation for having the most risk of hunger among its children. (Per CBS)
Possible characteristics of a child in need…
- Participates in the free and reduced school lunch program.
- Exhibits uncleanliness, and/or improper/unsuitable clothing
- Hoards food or attempts to “save for later” food from their school breakfast or lunch
- Eagerly awaits or asks when the next meal or snack is going to be
- Complains often about being hungry
- Has difficulty concentrating during class
- Rushes in line for the cafeteria
- Eats rapidly/asks for seconds
- Is frequently sick
- Shows signs of being malnourished and/or developmental delays
If you witness a child demonstrating the above food insecurities, please contact the child’s school counselor to make sure he or she has been identified, and thus can receive services for their needs.